Student feminist organization to present 'The Vagina Monologues'
02/23/2011

As a way of increasing awareness of sexual violence, Fort Hays State University's Student Feminist Organization, in association with the 2011 V-Day Campaign, will present a benefit production of "The Vagina Monologues" at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 3, and Friday, March 4, and at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 5. The productions will be in FHSU's Black and Gold Room in the upper level of the Memorial Union.

"The Vagina Monologues" is a play written by Eve Ensler based on her interviews with more than 200 people from a variety of social backgrounds. "The Monologues" cover a variety of issues, including love, puberty, motherhood, rape and sex.

"'The Monologues' have two major purposes," said Brendon McCampbell, Hays junior and president of the Student Feminist Organization, "to increase awareness and to help community members support existing anti-violence organizations through fundraising."

V-Day is a global activist movement to stop violence against women and girls.

"V-Day is a catalyst that promotes creative events to increase awareness, raise money and revitalize the spirit of existing anti-violence organizations," said McCampbell. "V-Day generates broader attention for the fight to stop violence against women and girls, including rape, battery, incest, female genital mutilation and sex slavery."

Admission to "The Vagina Monologues" is a suggested donation of $10. The event is open to the public. As designated by the V-Day Foundation, 90 percent of the proceeds will be donated to Northwest Kansas Domestic and Sexual Violence Services. The remaining 10 percent will be donated to the 2011 Spotlight Campaign on the Women and Girls of Haiti.

The production is directed by George E. Jackson, III, coordinator of diversity affairs.

For more information on V-Day, go to www.vday.org. For more information on "The Vagina Monologues," e-mail McCampbell at brendonmccampbell@gmail.com


Back to Index


Office of University Relations   |  600 Park Street   |  Hays, KS  67601-4099
(785) 628-4206   |   Fax (785) 628-4152
Kent Steward, Director   |  ksteward@fhsu.edu  |  Kurt Beyers, Assistant Director   |  kbeyers@fhsu.edu