The Fort Hays State University Foundation has announced the retirement of five members of its Board of Trustees this year. The Board of Trustees is a group of more than 60 individuals, mostly FHSU alumni, who volunteer their time, talent and expertise to help govern the foundation. These individuals come from a broad range of backgrounds and professions.
Retiring board members this year are:
Marianna Beach, Lawrence, a member of the Board of Trustees since 1996. Beach is a homemaker and community volunteer and is a past recipient of the FHSU Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award. She graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Kansas State University in 1940 and took post-graduate courses at Georgetown University and FHSU. Beach has been a longtime supporter of FHSU and the Hays community.
Ken Havner, Hays, served two terms on the Board of Trustees. He served from 1974 to 1984 and from 1994 to 2007. Havner graduated from FHSU in 1968 with a bachelor of arts in political science. He is an attorney at the Havner and Brin Law Office in Hays. Havner has been a member of the Audit, Centennial Campaign Steering, Executive, Finance, and the Robbins Alumni and Endowment Center Building committees.
Ken Johnson, Hays, served two terms as a trustee, beginning in 1998. Johnson earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Kansas and an education specialist degree from FHSU. He served as president of APAC-Kansas Inc. construction company until his retirement. He was an active member of the Robbins Center Building Committee.
Drew Riedel, Hays, is a 1972 graduate of FHSU. He received a bachelor’s degree in technology studies. He is president of Tri-Central Office Supply in Hays and is an avid supporter of FHSU in all aspects. Riedel also served on the Hays Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
Lloyd Switzer, Ottawa, served four terms on the Board of Trustees, beginning in 1991. Switzer received a degree in business administration from FHSU in 1958. He served as manager of a Firestone store in Ottawa for 40 years before retiring. He served on the Scholarship Committee for nine years.
“It’s without saying that these individuals helped the university and foundation move to new levels of support, education, service and research during their time as members of the foundation board,” said Tim Chapman, president and CEO. “We are forever grateful for their service and dedication.”
The FHSU Foundation, formerly the FHSU Endowment Association, was established in 1945. It is an independent, non-profit corporation that raises and receives gifts on behalf of Fort Hays State University.